About St. Paul AME Church, Irmo
Saint Paul African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E) Church had a very informal beginning as a bush arbor, a thicket of bushes arranged in such a way to provide shelter for worshipers. The bush arbor was located near Geiger Hill Cemetery - near what is known today as Connie Wright Road, approximately 3 miles north of the current location. The bush arbor was established around 1835 and existed for nearly 30 years. The first minister of the bush arbor church was Reverend Jerry Reeves.
The church continued to progress and was moved to its present site in 1930 and changed its name to Saint Paul A.M.E. The church was moved from its original site because the old Nicholas Creek constantly overflowed, making it extremely difficult for members to cross over.
God has continued to cause His face to shine on us at St. Paul A. M. E. We look forward to many years of service in His vineyard under the leadership of our current pastor, Reverend Steven Evans. May His Name be praised!
The Rev. Steven Evans,
The Rev. Rosalyn Coleman,
Bishop Samuel L. Green,